All that Glisten's is not Gold Script

INT. Beths Grammar School, Outside room 97, Mrs scott's tutor room- Morning, BEXLEYHEATH-LONDON

JOSH kisses ASHLEY full on the lips which appears to slightly embarrass her, he then winks at SPENCER before strolling off in the opposite direction to the ASHLEY and SPENCER.


ASHLEY

Sorry about that.

ASHLEY smiles at SPENCER in an embarrassed fashion.

ASHLEY

Would you like me to show you around the school?

SPENCER

Sure. So if you don't mind me asking, how long have you two been together?

ASHLEY

Umm...a couple of years.

SPENCER

Aw okay.

ASHLEY

We've know each other since we were little. He was my first friend, my best friend.

ASHLEY stops reminiscing and smiles at SPENCER.

ASHLEY

What about you? Are you seeing anyone?

SPENCER

Umm...nah me and my ex just split up.

ASHLEY

Oh I'm sorry, do you see you and him getting back together in the foreseeable future?

SPENCER

Um...nope me and her decided we would just be friends.

ASHLEY

Sorry you must think I'm terribly rude prying into your personal life after only knowing you for an hour.


SPENCER

No it's fine. I'm bi not gay.

ASHLEY

Hmm okay.

INT. Beths Grammar School, Art Department- Morning


The two appear to have wondered up to the art block. ASHLEY seems somewhat quiet after SPENCER'S revelation.


SPENCER

So what subjects are you studying?

ASHLEY

Media, sociology and Art. You?

SPENCER

Art, Media and English Literature. Seems like we will be spending quite a bit of time together.

ASHLEY smiles at SPENCER, whilst SPENCER seems to be admiring the art work on the walls.

The corridor suddenly appears to be full of chattering and children in school uniform. The two girls move rapidly towards the exit. On their way to the media lab they bump into JOSH who has been waiting for them near the library.


int. beths grammar school, room 101, media lab- morning


ASHLEY

Miss Snow this is Spencer the new student.

ASHLEY walks away from MISS SNOW (Caucasian female, brown eyes, blond hair in a ponytail) holding hands with JOSH. JOSH laughs heartily.


JOSH

Ash you have got to stop doing that, you're getting the girl far too much work by saying she is the new student.

ASHLEY

Don't worry I'll help her. I'll brief her on each class, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Miss SNOW

Oh welcome Spencer. If you see me after class I will be able to give you some of the work from the previous weeks so that this does not seem over your head.

SPENCER

Thanks Miss.

Ext. outside beth's grammar school-afternoon, BEXLEYHEATH-LONDON

JOSH, ASHLEY and SPENCER are walk to the bus stop near by Beth's grammar school.


JOSH

So Spence, are ya seeing anyone?

SPENCER

Nope.

ASHLEY

J that's a bit personal, leave her alone.

JOSH

I'm only asking, you don't mind do ya Spence?

SPENCER

Nah it's fine by me.

JOSH

Anyway enough of this girl talk I'm gonna have to love ya and leave you lovely ladies as I have football training in a couple hours time so I need to go eat and get ready. Are you gonna come over for a bit babe?

ASHLEY

Nah I think I'm gonna spend some more time with Spence if that's alright with her? And try to get home before it starts snowing again.

SPENCER

Yeah that's fine by me.

JOSH

Alright well I'll call you when I get home from training.

ASHLEY

Do you think you'll have training with all this snow and ice around?

JOSH

Dunno to be honest babe. Bye.


JOSH leans in and gives ASHLEY a hug and a kiss, waves at SPENCER and gets on the bus that has just arrived.

SPENCER

Umm so do you wanna come to mine?

ASHLEY

Sure if that's alright with you.

 Spencer

I've just parked up this road.

ASHLEY

Oh, you can drive.

SPENCER

Yeah I hate public transport.


Ext. OUTSIDE SPENCER'S HOUSE-LATE AFTERNOON,PLUMSTEAD-LONDON


SPENCER

Sorry about the state of my room, the rest of the house is tidy though.

SPENCER laughs heartily as she pushes open the front door. The two girls then walk into the lounge where SPENCER finds a note which reads 'Spence, Dad and I have gone food shopping. Back soon. Mum x' SPENCER then leads the way up to her bedroom with ASHLEY following closely behind. 

ASHLEY

Wow your room is lovely, so where's the mess then?

SPENCER

The beds not made, my pjs aren't folded.

SPENCER dashes around the room sorting out the few things that are out of place.

ASHLEY

Well if you think this is a mess you should see my room after a night out.

ASHLEY and SPENCER continue to talk about everything whilst SPENCER puts the last few things that are out of place away before joining ASHLEY who took it upon herself to lie on the bed after SPENCER made it. She brings over her laptop to show her a clip on youtube 'Laugh Jamaica-Rapunzel' After a couple hours watching clips together the two seem to forget they have just met as they laugh and joke with one another.

ASHLEY'S phone rings.

JOSH

Hey Ash, you okay baby? Was just wondering if you would like to sleep over tonight? Mum says you're more than welcome to have dinner and I thought we could have dvd night? What do ya say?

ASHLEY

Sure I'll um just have to go home and get a few bits and let my Mum know.

JOSH

Alright then see you later babe. Bye.

ASHLEY

Okay. Bye.

SPENCER uses her initiative and offers to drive ASHLEY home.

SPENCER

I'll drop you home. That way I'll know you got home safely, you know because of the weather.

EXT. OUTSIDE ASHLEY'S HOUSE

ASHLEY gathers all her stuff. SPENCER and ASHLEY leave the house and make their way to SPENCER'S car carefully as the pavements are rather icy as the new snow has yet to settle.

ASHLEY slips and falls, causing both her and SPENCER to laugh. SPENCER bends/reaches down to help ASHLEY. However she too ends up on the ground beside her, the two sit there laughing with one another whilst they remain holding hands.

Both SPENCER and ASHLEY look down at their entwined fingers. SPENCER goes to let go and attempt to stand up but ASHLEY pulls her back and seems to pull her closer but gets shy at the last minute. They hold one another's gaze, SPENCER moves slowly forward and stops. The two slowly get up barely looking at each other but they link arms as they walk so as to steady one another but not enough to admit the immediate mutual attraction they have for one another.

SPENCER

God it's cold.

ASHLEY

It's only gonna get colder when the fresh snow settles. If you drive to Plumstead High street I can direct you from there.

SPENCER

Cool.

ASHLEY

It's pretty straight from here, you turn right at the main set of traffic lights on Bostall hill.

SPENCER

What this one coming up?

ASHLEY

Yeah.

The car becomes silent again with the only noise coming from the radio 'choice-fm'. They arrive at ASHLEY'S house.

EXT. OUTSIDE ASHLEY'S HOUSE, EVENING, ABBEY WOOD-LONDON

ASHLEY

Well I best be going then, thanks for letting me come over and um dropping me home.

SPENCER

No problem, thanks for showing me around college and keeping me company.

ASHLEY

Um do you want to exchange numbers? I mean so that I can help you with your college work or so that we can meet up or something over the half term.

SPENCER

Sure, it's 07946 225 264.

ASHLEY jots down the number in her blackberry.

ASHLEY

I'll flash you so that you have my number too.

ASHLEY gives SPENCER a hug and a somewhat awkward kiss on the cheek. They smile at one another and ASHLEY gets out of the car.

ASHLEY quickly runs up the stairs to her house, opens the door and greets her parents and older brother, before informing them that she is spending the night at JOSH'S.

MUM

Ashley are you going to eat something before you go?

ASHLEY

No thanks Mum, Josh's Mum is making me something to eat. Thanks though.

MUM

Okay, well I'll see you tomorrow night then.

ASHLEY

Yeah, bye Mum, love you.

ASHLEY gives her Mum (Caribbean female, brown eyes, black hair bob hair cut) a hug and kisses her on the cheek.

MUM

Bye, love you too, make sure you call me or at least text me.

ASHLEY

I always do, bye Dad, bye Bailey.

DAD (Caribbean male, brown eyes, shaved head) and BAILEY (Caribbean male, black hair cane row) say bye in unison just as ASHLEY pecks her DAD on the cheek and high fives BAILEY.

EXT. OUTSIDE ASHLEY'S HOUSE- EVENING, ABBEY WOOD-LONDON

ASHLEY walks the short distance to JOSH'S house. She knocks on the door which opens within a second, she is greeted by JOSH'S MUM (Caucasian female, blue eyes, blond hair in a bun) who gives her a hug/squeeze before calling JOSH.

JOSH

Hey Babe, did you and Spencer enjoy your time together?

ASHLEY removes her coat and hangs it on the coat rack before taking off her kickers and placing them with the rest of the families shoes.

ASHLEY

Yeah, we had a laugh. We fell over on the black ice outside her house.

JOSH laughs heartily before giving her a hug.

JOSH

So I was thinking we could watch...

ASHLEY interrupts JOSH.

ASHLEY

Can we watch Skins first?

JOSH

I swear you're obsessed with that show.

ASHLEY

No it's just it makes me laugh.

JOSH smiles as he goes up to his bedroom, ASHLEY who was initially following him goes to say hi to JOSH'S DAD(Caucasian male,blue eyes,short brown hair) and his twin brother JOSEPH (Caucasian male,blue eyes, blond/mosey brown shoulder length hair). She then makes her way upto JOSH'S room where he is sitting in an arm chair flicking through the channels on the television.

JOSH

Oh there you are, what were you doing?

ASHLEY

Saying hello to Dad and Joseph.

JOSH

Okay then. What time is Skins on?

ASHLEY

Um 10pm on e4.

Josh

Cool well do you wanna watch something until then?

ASHLEY and JOSH sit down to watch The Simpsons and Hollyoaks. They are soon called down for dinner where the whole family eats at the table together as they laugh and joke about their day at college and work.

After dinner JOSEPH, JOSH and ASHLEY make there way to the lounge where JOSH and JOSEPH monopolise the television playing xbox call of duty. At about 9.45 after they've had a competition on xbox band hero to see who's the best rocker, ASHLEY encourages the boys to allow her to watch Skins. After some persuasion and having fought them both for the remote control they finally give in just as Skins begins.

At the same moment in time SPENCER has just got out of the bath and is contemplating whether or not to text ASHLEY. She has nothing of importance to say to her. She decides against it and goes into her room where she too watches Skins.

JOSH

Now that's over, what do you two wanna watch now?

Joseph

I'm gona go to my room, got a few things to do.

ashley

I don't mind.

After watching a film or two JOSH retires to his bedroom, whilst ASHLEY jumps in the bath. Just as she gets in the bath her blackberry vibrates, she has a new text message from SPENCER, it reads 'Hi Ash just wanted to say thanks again for today. Sorry about what happened when we fell over. Enjoy your night with Josh. Spencer x' ASHLEY smiles puts the phone down and finishes off having her bath.

JOSH

Hurry up in there. I need to use the toilet.

ASHLEY

Almost done.

ASHLEY emerges from the bathroom in her pjs, JOSH winks at her, kisses her and brushes past her. Whilst in the bathroom JOSH has a quick shower before returning to his bedroom in just his boxers.

JOSH

I'm kinda tired so do you wanna listen to something as we go to sleep? I'll put the tv on timer.


ASHLEY

Okay.

JOSH puts on the television rather low they both get into bed and cuddle. JOSH soon falls asleep as ASHLEY lies there. She picks her phone up from the bedside table and re-reads the message from SPENCER. She smiles yet again and replies to the message 'Hi Spence, I enjoyed today too it's not everyday you meet someone you instantly click with. There's no need to apologise, think nothing of it ;)Nuh night Ash xx'


JOSH

Ash your phone's....vibrating.

A sleepy JOSH reaches over ASHLEY picks up her phone and places it on her before rolling over and going back to sleep. The phone vibrates a couple times on her chest before she checks it.

ASHLEY rubes her eyes before picking up her phone to see she has a missed call and a text message.She sleepily smiles with herself as she sees who they are from. The text message reads 'Hi Ash,just wanted to see if you wanted to do something today? Guess you're still sleeping. Sorry if this disturbs your sleep. Talk to you later xx.' ASHLEY finds SPENCER'S number in her phone and calls her.

SPENCER'S phone starts ringing/vibrating.

SPENCER

Morning Sleeping Beauty.

SPENCER laughs as ASHLEY yawns.

ASHLEY

Morning, you okay?

SPENCER

Yeah I'm good, you?

JOSH grunts a barely coherent hello before rolling over and going back to sleep.

ASHLEY

I'm alright. Um so what did you want to do today? Josh says hi too.

SPENCER

I don't really know. Just don't wanna stay in. Tell him i said hi. I can come over at about three if that's okay?

ASHLEY

Yeah that should be good, i'll probably be back from J's by then.

SPENCER

Oh I um can pick you up from there if you like?

ASHLEY

Are you sure? I don't mind meeting you at mine.

SPENCER

Yeah that's fine, just text me the postcode.

ASHLEY

Okay. Well I'm gonna try to wake myself up a bit more, have a shower and what not. So give me about an hour and a half.

SPENCER

Alright then. See you in a bit. Bye.

ASHLEY

Bye.

ASHLEY puts down her phone down on the bedside table, sits up and rubs her eyes. She then gently shakes JOSH awake.

JOSH

Yeah I'm up,I'm up.

JOSH yawns, slowly opens his eyes and pushes himself up on his elbows.


ASHLEY

I'm gonna go out with Spencer today, so I'm gonna have to leave after I've got ready. What have you got planned for today?

JOSH

Umm I dunno, lounge about the house I guess. I've got the day off work.

ASHLEY

Yeah me too.

JOSH

What do you want for breakfast then? Since you are gonna take forever to get ready.

ASHLEY rolls her eyes at JOSH who in turn laughs as he clambers out of bed.

ASHLEY

Umm, anything babes.

ASHLEY gets out of bed gathers her bag and makes her way to the bathroom. JOSH leaves the room too making his way down the stairs.

An hour later ASHLEY comes down the stairs and enters the kitchen where JOSH is setting the table whilst talking to JOSEPH who is sitting at the table. ASHLEY sits across the table from JOSEPH says good morning before being interrupted by a kiss from JOSH. JOSH sets the breakfast on the table and the three of them talk and eat. ASHLEY'S phone rings just as she finishes her breakfast and thanks JOSH via a kiss which JOSEPH then goes on to make kissy faces about.

ASHLEY

Hey Spence, where are ya?

SPENCER

Hey, I'm outside.

ASHLEY

Okay, I'll come open the door. Just need to grab my things from upstairs you might as well say hi to the terrible twosome.

ASHLEY cuts off the call, opens the frontdoor, greets SPENCER with a quick hug before dashing up the stairs to get her bag. JOSH then shouts for SPENCER to come into the kitchen.

SPENCER

Hi Josh, oh hi um?

JOSEPH

It's nice to know my bro told you he is a twin.

JOSEPH laughs heartily.


JOSEPH

I'm Joseph, nice to meet you.

JOSH

Yeah sorry about that, should have told you.

SPENCER

Nah it's fine, so what have you got planned for today?

JOSH

Nothing really. What about you and Ash?

SPENCER

Umm shopping I guess, don't know really just wanna get out of the house.

ASHELY appears with her bags and places them in the doorway of the kitchen. She walks over to JOSH kisses him goodbye, winks at JOSEPH who pretends to be blown away before beckoning SPENCER for them to go. SPENCER says bye and follows suit after ASHLEY. The two girls leave the house and walk the short distance to the car.

They drive to ASHLEY'S house where ASHLEY runs into the house drops off her belongings in the hallway, writes a note on a post-it note and leaves it in the kitchen before leaving again.The two girls head-off in the direction going towards Bluewater.

SPENCER

Is there anything in particular you need to do in Bluewater?


ASHLEY

Nah. I would like to go ice-skating though.

SPENCER

Sure, can't remember the last time I did.

After having parked the car the girl's walk to the ice-rink which is situated just by the pond which is frozen solid. There doesn't seem to as many people on the ice as there are watching. The two join the queue, pay there fee and collect their skates.

EXT. BLUEWATER SHOPPING CENTRE, LATE-AFTERNOON, DARTFORD-KENT

SPENCER

Are you any good at skating?

ASHLEY

Nah i'm like a child.

ASHLEY and SPENCER laugh.

SPENCER

Well this should be fun then, because i'm no better.

ASHLEY and SPENCER walk over to the rink and wobble on the pair of them are almost tumbling at every moment. ASHLEY puts out her hand for SPENCER to hold.

ASHLEY

This way we should be able to balance one another.

This seems to help them as they seem to skate in unison and hardly seem to wobble. The pair of them fall over just once but they appear to laugh it off and help one another up. They hold hands again once more but this time skate slower so as to control themselves more.

SPENCER

I'm not sure about you but I could do with a hot drink and a little rest?

ASHLEY

Yeah.

SPENCER leads the way over to the hot drink vendor where she orders both her and ASHLEY hot chocolate with marshmallows. They sit on a bench by the rink which conveniently has a pile of blankets placed on it for the customers watching the people skating and for the customers who take a break from skating. The two huddle together and wrap the blanket around the backs of them giving them the freedom to move their arms freely to sip their hot chocolates.

ASHLEY

Spence, did you always know?... I mean that you liked girls as well as boys?

SPENCER

Umm, well no. I always got bizarrely too close to my girl friends. I was teased at Secondary School about being a lesbian which upset me and my mum took matters into her own hands and sorted it.

ASHLEY

That bad?

SPENCER nods.

SPENCER

I'd kissed a girl before but it wasn't something that you would say made me gay. It was just me and my best friend practising. Just something we did when we were alone together at her house.

ASHLEY

So did it feel weird?

SPENCER

It was a shock but not something weird, something I knew I could say no too if I wasn't comfortable about it. But we got older grew out of it.

ASHLEY

I've kissed a girl once. During a game of truth of dare.

They both laugh.

ASHLEY

So I'm not really sure it qualifies.

SPENCER

Nah it does.

ASHLEY

How did your parents react when you told them?

SPENCER

Umm my Mum was utterly disgusted by the idea and she tends to mock it, I guess it's her way of accepting it. My Dad doesn't seem too bothered.

ASHLEY

We don't have to talk about this if you'd rather not?

SPENCER

I don't mind.

ASHLEY sips her hot chocolate, glances at SPENCER who seems to be watching the skaters as they fly by. ASHLEY slowly takes SPENCER'S hand in hers. SPENCER looks down at their entwined fingers smiling but with a somewhat confused expression on her face. ASHLEY bows her head, bites her bottom lip as SPENCER uses her other hand to lift up her face brings it close to hers and says.

SPENCER

Let's get back to skating before we freeze to death!

ASHLEY downs her drink as SPENCER gets up and folds the blanket and places it back on the rapidly decreasing pile. ASHLEY grabs SPENCER'S hand and the two of them wobble over to the skating rink.

The two of them skate for a half an hour before exchanging their skates for their shoes and wander around Bluewater for a while. The talk as they walk before heading towards the car park. ASHLEY phones home to ask if it is okay for SPENCER to have dinner at theirs to find out no-one is there, so sees no reason why she can't come over.

INT- ASHLEY'S HOUSE, saturday afternoon

ASHLEY

Are you hungry?

SPENCER

Um a little.

ASHLEY

Hm lets see what's in the fridge?

ASHLEY and SPENCER make their way through ASHLEY'S house to the kitchen, in the freezer they find curly fries and a four cheese pizza. They place them in the oven and go and sit in the lounge. ASHLEY puts on the television and flicks through the music channels, nothing that either of them likes seems to be on. She goes on to the movie channels and comes across 'Dirty Dancing'.

ASHLEY

Chick-flick it is then.

SPENCER

I love this film, and it's right by the beginning of the film even better.

SPENCER gets comfortable on the sofa as ASHLEY gets them drinks. She returns with two cokes and sits beside SPENCER with a minute gap between them. 

ASHLEY

Are you cold?

SPENCER

A little.

ASHLEY gets a blanket from the pouffe next to them and places it over both of their laps. The two girls seem so engrossed in the film that they have not noticed that they are holding hands. The scene where Baby and Johnny sing lover-boy comes on the screen and the two girls laugh and sing a long, they almost seem to be re-enacting the scene. As they hold one another singing and dancing ASHLEY leans in and kisses SPENCER, just as she pulls away to apologise SPENCER pulls her in again and kisses her. ASHLEY pulls away and they look at one another, slightly embarrassed and confused.

ASHLEY

I'm, sorry. I um don't know what came over me.

SPENCER

No I am it's just...

ASHLEY interrupts SPENCER.

ASHLEY

You have nothing to apologise for, it's me. I've wanted to kiss you since I found out you were bi and I'm not really sure why.

SPENCER

I've wanted to kiss you but... I haven't and didn't because you have Josh and you're not exactly gay.

ASHLEY

I suppose but...

SPENCER

We can pretend it didn't happen if you want? I know how much you love Josh. I've seen the way you look at one another. It's quite sweet really.

ASHLEY

Okay.

SPENCER

I think I'm gonna go.

ASHLEY

No. Please don't. Stay and keep me company.

SPENCER

Okay. Only if you're sure.

ASHLEY nods and the two sit down again to watch the rest of the film which neither of them seem to be interested in anymore. The pair of them seem to shy to touch one another again and even when one accidentally brushes the other it's rather awkward as they sort of shy away from the touch.

ASHLEY

Think I best go check on the food.

ASHLEY soon returns with the pizza and chips, the two girls sit on the floor and eat it as they watch the remainder of the film.

SPENCER

I best get going now. I'll text you later or something.

ASHLEY

Okay.

ASHLEY walks SPENCER to the front door. They share a somewhat awkward hug and SPENCER opens the door just as ASHLEY'S family are coming up the stairs to the house.

MRS WESTON

Oh hi girls, oh you must be Spencer the new girl. Did ya have a nice day together?

ASHLEY

Hi Mum, yeah we did. We went ice-skating, wandered around Bluewater for a bit then came back here and watched Dirty Dancing.

SPENCER

Pleasure to meet you Mrs Weston, Mr Weston and?

GREG

I'm Greg.

SPENCER

And Greg.

SPENCER smiles.

SPENCER

Well I best be going, it was lovely meeting you all. Thanks for having me over Ash, we'll do it again soon. Bye.

ASHLEY

Yeah speak to you later Spence.

SPENCER bids farewell to the rest of the family as she passes them on the stairs. She briskly walks to her car and drives off.

ASHLEY

Where did you lot go?

GREG

To get something to eat.

ASHLEY

Was just asking because I called earlier and there was no answer.

GREG

Well Mum didn't think you'd be back so early, she assumed you'd stay at Josh's for dinner.

ASHLEY

Okay.

ASHLEY makes her way upto her bedroom as the rest of the family take off their coats and get comfortable in the house. GREG follows ASHLEY upstairs and into her room.

GREG

Ash are you okay? You seem somewhat flustered.

ASHLEY

What do you mean?

GREG

Well you and Spencer didn't seem to warm to one another when she was leaving. You haven't had an argument already have you?

ASHLEY

No, we're fine.

Greg

Well what's wrong then?

ASHLEY

I dunno. It's just, never mind it's nothing.

GREG

Doesn't seem like nothing to me, so spill.

ASHLEY

Well umm, you see the thing is...

GREG

Ash just say it, it can't be that bad.

ASHLEY

I fancy her.

GREG seems to laugh before smirking. ASHLEY turns away and goes and sits by her computer leaving GREG by the bedroom door.

GREG

Are you serious?

ASHLEY

See I knew you wouldn't take me seriously, forget I mentioned it.

Seeing how serious ASHLEY is GREG closes the bedroom door and goes over to where ASHLEY is and cuddles her.

GREG

Wow, you are serious. But why are you letting it trouble you so much? Big deal you fancy her. It's not like you've acted on it. Besides she's quite sexy.

ASHLEY burys her head into GREG'S shoulder.

GREG

Well I hope you haven't.

ASHLEY

We didn't mean to it just sort of happened.

GREG

What did you do exactly? What about Josh?

ASHLEY

I know, I love Josh but... I've kissed Spencer now and even though I knew it was wrong I still did it, still wanted to, I still do.

GREG

Um sis...are you gay?

GREG looks at his sister quizzically.

ASHLEY

No, yes, maybe. I'm not sure G. I've always known well sort of known that I find females attractive but I've never wanted to act on the impulse until I met Spencer. Probably because she is bi and just so open about it.

GREG

Well um, I guess the question is do you still want to be with Josh?

ASHLEY

I love Josh yes but it's not the way I think it should be. I think it's more the way someone loves their best friend. I feel as though I need to I dunno see this thing through that I might have with Spencer.

GREG

Well it seems like you've got on a lot on your plate right now. Not only do you think you could be gay but you also aren't in love with your boyfriend. There's only one thing you can do. You have to talk to both of them.

ASHLEY

What do you mean? I can't be like oh hey Josh I can't be with you anymore because I think i'm gay and want to pursue what could be a relationship with Spencer.

GREG laughs.

GREG

No i'm not saying to do that but I am saying talk to Spencer see what she thinks. Tell Josh you love him and maybe why you can't be with him anymore.

ASHLEY

But it will break his heart I can't...

GREG interrupts.

GREG

Ash truth be told if I was in Josh's shoes i'd rather you told me now that you just see me as a friend rather than further down the line when I'm imagining a future with you and you're just seeing me as the situation that you didn't have the balls to get out of.

ASHLEY

I suppose so.

GREG

I'm not gonna lie and say everything will be alright when you talk to them both but it might make you feel better.

ASHLEY

I suppose.

GREG gives ASHLEY a squeeze before stepping back from her.

GREG

Well I didn't expect that when I walked into the room, just expected it to be some minor situation. But truth be told if you are gay, bi whatever I'm okay with it and I won't tell anyone until you're ready.

GREG gives ASHLEY a kiss on the cheek.

ASHLEY

Aww thanks G, that's so sweet. Think I'll text them now or at least think about what i'm gonna say to them.

GREG winks at ASHLEY as he leaves the room closing the door behind him. ASHLEY is left alone in her room, she takes her blackberry out of her pocket. She sees that she has an unread message, it reads 'Hi babe, hope you and Spence have a good day. Love you <3 comment-3--="" xxx="">

INT. SPENCER'S HOUSE, SPENCER'S BEDROOM, EARLY saturday EVENING

SPENCER walks into her house greets her parents by shouting hi to them as she walks up the stairs and how her day with ASHLEY was before going into her bedroom, she closes the door and leans against it.

INT. ASHLEY'S HOUSE, ashley's bedroom, early saturday evening

ASHLEY begins composing a text message to SPENCER, it reads 'Spence, I know we said we'd pretend like nothing happened but I need to speak to you. There's something else I need to say...to know. Ash x'She clicks send and begins composing a message to Josh.

INT. SPENCER'S HOUSE, spencer's bedroom, early saturday evening

SPENCER having received ASHLEY'S text message replies with 'Sure, um just let me know when you want to talk. Spence x'

INT. ASHLEY'S HOUSE, ashley's bedroom, EARLY saturday EVENING

ASHLEY'S message to JOSH reads 'Hi Josh, yeah me and Spencer had a good day. What did you get upto? Let me know when you are free as I really need to talk to you. Night, I love you <3 xx="">

INT. JOSH'S HOUSE, josh's bedroom, EARLY sunday MORNING

JOSH reads ASHLEY'S text message as he gets ready for work. He sees nothing out of the ordinary in it so smiles and texts back saying 'Sure i'll meet you after we have both finished work. You finish at 5 today right? xx' He then leaves the house for work.

INT. ASHLEY'S HOUSE, ASHLEY'S BEDROOM, EARLY sunday morning

ASHLEY reads the text message with a sad expression on her face but responds just the same 'Yeah I do, see you then xx' She then texts SPENCER. 'Hey Spence, sorry about the early text. Would it be possible for you to meet me later on today? Not sure of the time yet as I'll be at work all day, I'll text you when i'm on my lunch break. xx' She finishes getting ready before departing for work, leaving uncharacteristically later so as not to end up on the same bus as JOSH.

EXT. BLUEWATER SHOPPING CENTRE, Early Morning, DARTFORD-KENT

Both ASHLEY and JOSH arrive at work, to begin their six hour shift. JOSH has a usual dead Sunday at GAME, whilst ASHLEY tries to keep herself busy at THE PERFUME SHOP through the anticipation of the two conversations she is to have later.

JOSH

Hey babe.

JOSH arrives at SPENCER'S workplace to take her for lunch. They lean over the counter to greet one another with a quick peck on the lips.

ASHLEY

What are you doing here?

JOSh

Come to take you for lunch, if you can have your break now?

ASHLEY

Sure. What do you fancy having?

JOSH

I feel like McDonalds, you?

ASHLEY

Yeah, that will do.

The two head towards the food court where they eat and chat about work. After eating they wonder around for a bit. ASHLEY chooses now to text SPENCER asking her to meet her at six-ish in Bluewater.

JOSH

So what did you wanna talk about?

ASHLEY

Not now babes, later. Okay?

Josh

Sure. Well I best be getting back to work. See you in a bit.

With that JOSH gives ASHLEY a quick peck on the cheek whilst embracing her and walks off.

Five o'clock soon rears it's ugly head and JOSH is yet again waiting for ASHLEY. She finishes cleaning the perfume shelf and restocks it.She collects her bag and coat and walks off with JOSH hand in hand.

JOSH

Are you okay? You seem awfully quiet.

ASHLEY

Um yeah I'm fine.

Josh

Are you ready to have that chat now?

ASHLEY

Yeah but lets go and sit somewhere and talk.

Josh

Sure, I know the perfect place.

JOSH takes the lead, leading ASHLEY to the frozen pond where the remote control boats are, which appears to be deserted but has the occasional passer-by.

JOSH

So what's up?

ASHLEY

I um.

JOSH looks at ASHLEY with a look of concern.

Josh

Babe? What is it?

ASHLEY

Josh...I can't do this anymore.

JOSH

What do you mean?

ASHLEY

I can't be with you.

The pair of them are silent for a few seconds. JOSH seems somewhat lost in his thoughts and as though he may cry at any second, in seeing this ASHLEY'S eyes well up and she begins to sob.

JOSH

But why? What have I done?

ASHLEY continues to sob.

ASHLEY

Nothing it's just...

JOSH begins to cry and pulls ASHLEY into him holding her in a tight embrace, ASHLEY breaks away.

ASHLEY

I'm...I'm... I think I'm gay.

JOSH

What? Gay?

ASHLEY

I'm sorry Josh.

JOSH pushes ASHLEY away, tears are streaming down both their faces.

JOSH

But you said you love me?

ASHLEY

I do but I think it's more in a way that I'd love my best friend. I'm sorry...

JOSH

Sorry? How can you be? If you were sorry you wouldn't be saying this you wouldn't want to break up with me. Please Ash say it's a joke.

ASHLEY

It's not. I've always sort of known but never had the courage to say so.

JOSH

I um, don't know what to say. I've always loved you Ash.

ASHLEY

I know me too but I can't continue this relationship it just wouldn't be fair on you.

JOSH

Please Ash give me another chance, I can change. Maybe you're not gay, maybe you just have a crush. You'll get over it. We can pretend like it...

ASHLEY

I can't.

JOSH breaks down, he walks over to the bin and kicks it knocking it over and some of the contents out. ASHLEY cries harder following JOSH'S outburst.

josh

Ash... I love you, I want to marry you, grow old with you. Have kids with...you.

ASHLEY turns away. JOSH catches her arm and turns her to face him.

ASHLEY

I know, I wanted that too. I still do but...I need to sort myself out. See if what I am feeling now is a phase, if i'm bi, gay I dunno.

Josh

Then why do we have to break up? Can't we go on a break? I don't want to be with anyone but you.

ASHLEY looks JOSH in his eyes which have fresh tears falling from them.

ASHLEY

We can try but... I don't know what will come of it. I don't want you to resent me if I turn around and say I am definitely gay. I'd...

JOSH

I'd never do that, please Ash. See if it is a phase but comeback to me. Let me be the one you end up with.

ASHLEY

I can't make that promise.

JOSH wipes away the tears rolling down his cheeks.

JOSH

I've um, got to go. I'll come around later. Bye.

JOSH kisses ASHLEY on the forehead and walks away. His posture is slouched and you can see from his body movement that he is still crying. ASHLEY tries to wipe away the tears in her eyes as she watches JOSH walk away. She turns in the opposite direction and walks into the centre again. Her blackberry starts to ring.

SPENCER

Hey Ash, um where are you? I've just walked into the centre. I'm by HMV.

ASHLEY tries to compose herself before responding.

ASHLEY

I um, I'll be there in a minute.

SPENCER

What's wrong? You sound like you are crying.

ASHLEY ends the call and makes her way to HMV.

SPENCER

Ash, what's wrong?

ASHLEY

Nothing i'm fine, can we go somewhere?

SPENCER

You don't look fine, you look like you have been crying.

ASHLEY

Spence please, lets just go somewhere and talk.

SPENCER

We can go for a drive if you want? You'll have to direct me though.

ASHLEY

Okay.

They make their way to the car park, they drive off towards Erith after leaving the car park. ASHLEY sits in the passenger seat silently crying. SPENCER keeps glancing over at her to make sure she is okay. They drive to the lake in Thamesmead which is near a residental area. ASHLEY gets SPENCER to pull over right by the lake.

SPENCER

Do you want a tissue?

ASHLEY

No, i'll be fine.

Spencer

Why are you crying? Please tell me.

ASHLEY

I broke....up with Josh.

SPENCER

I'm sorry. I thought you two were...

ASHLEY

I did it for you.

SPENCER

For me? What do you mean? I never told you too.

ASHLEY

Because I want to pursue something with you.

ASHLEY starts to cry again.

ASHLEY

I had to see if we could make a go of it, I obviously kissed you for a reason.

SPENCER

But...

ASHLEY

Spence I fancy you. I love Josh but I want to be with you. Well at least see if it's why I've wanted to kiss you ever since I took you on a tour of the school.

ASHLEY puts her hand out to SPENCER. SPENCER takes her hand in both of hers.

SPENCER

But are you sure this is what you want? I don't want you to pursue something with a girl who is bi-curious.

ASHLEY smiles through her tears.

ASHLEY

Well, we will just have to see how it goes then.

SPENCER leans in and gently kisses ASHLEY on the lips before leaning back in her seat.

SPENCER

But what about Josh?

ASHLEY affectionately strokes SPENCER'S cheek.

ASHLEY

Right now, I really don't know.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment