Cut Out-Sound Assignment

Sound Within 'Cut Out'

With my major project initially I had no intention of using any non-diegetic sounds. But after re-evalutating my step outline I decided that I could add in a few to make it seem somewhat more realistic. For instance with the very first step Carmen and a non-diegetic sound can easily be heard in the background for she could be singing along with something on the television or talking to the television i.e. laughing at it, arguing with what someone on screen said or warning a character on screen as in 'Don't say that/Don't do that/Don't go in there.' Which could create the idea of Grace coming home to not one person but numerous people as the viewing audience could believe the television to be a person. I also thought that during Step 7 to Step 12 (the beginning as it is a transition fade from the flashback to the present time, if done correctly it could be a replica to that of the beginning sequence of 'Beaches' starring Bette Midler, where you can see Bette Midler in her present state as adult CeCe Bloom but as the music cuts in the viewing audience is able to identify that the music is too old fashioned and the picture us fading to that of one that the music would have been composed and recorded in. Also I didn't think I took into consideration the noises you would hear in the office as in the sound of a printer/photocopier/fax machine, telephones ringing the sound of faint talking. There is also the floor surfaces to take into consideration. For instance the flat that Carmen and Grace are inhabiting for the the film has wooden floors so depending on what types of shoes the characters will be wearing will have an effect on the sound that it creates as they walk through the flat. With the few sound tests I've done, slippers can make a shuffling sound, shoes with a medium/large heels makes a clippety cloppety sound and trainers/flat shoes hardly make a sound depending on the material they are made out of. The first time I recorded within this flat I merely used a handheld camera which had a high quality for the image but the sound was quite poor as I was forced to used the built in microphone within the camera, which meant it only picked up select sounds. So the second time I did a sound test I used the boom mic which recorded a perfect high quality sound.
The imagery that I intend to use in my major project is a two bedroom flat in Leyton. I have to place a few objects in different places with in the lounge to make it look more homely for two females and I have to put up a few posters within the lounge to make more emphasis on Grace's career and Carmen's passion for art.

No comments:

Post a Comment